Receiving a low number of applicants for a job opening can be disheartening, but you don't have to settle for a limited pool of candidates. In this article, we'll share a list of ways to get more applicants and attract the top talent your company needs to succeed. Implementing these effective methods can revitalize your hiring process and deliver the perfect candidates for your organization.
Build a strong employer brand
Your employer brand plays a critical role in attracting potential candidates to your company. A strong brand highlights your company culture and showcases the benefits and perks that make your workplace stand out. Here are a few steps you can take to enhance your employer brand:
- Develop a clear mission and vision. Ensure your company's mission and vision are well-defined and communicated effectively to employees and potential candidates. Your mission and vision give job seekers a clear understanding of what your organization stands for and how they can contribute to its success.
- Promote your company culture. Your company culture is a crucial element of your employer brand. Share stories, images, and videos highlighting your organization's unique culture, including team-building activities, employee recognition programs, and social events. A clear look into your company culture will help potential candidates envision themselves as part of your team.
- Leverage employee testimonials. Encourage current employees to share their positive experiences with your company on social media, on job review websites, or even in company-produced videos. These authentic reviews give job seekers an insider perspective on what it's like to work for your organization.
- Showcase your benefits and perks. Be bold about promoting the benefits and perks that set your company apart, such as competitive salaries, generous vacation policies, or flexible work arrangements.
- Stay active on social media. Regularly update your company's social media profiles with relevant content, including industry news, company updates, and job postings. An active social media presence will keep your organization top of mind for job seekers and demonstrate that you're an engaged, forward-thinking employer.
"Encourage your employees to share job postings on their personal social media accounts to increase visibility and reach."
Craft a compelling and detailed job description
Creating a job description that stands out in a sea of postings can be daunting, but it will pique the interest of potential candidates. With a bit of creativity and attention to detail, you can craft a job description that accurately conveys the position's duties and paints a picture of your company's culture and values. Here are some ways you can make your job postings more appealing:
- Start with an eye-catching job title. Try to think outside the box and avoid using the same boilerplate titles as your competitors, but make sure it still accurately reflects the position and the company culture.
- Use concise language. When describing the job duties and qualifications, be specific and avoid vague terms such as "excellent communication skills."
- Provide a clear outline of the role's responsibilities and expectations. Being upfront about the requirements of your position helps potential applicants understand what they can expect. Give your potential employee a look into what an average day on the job would be like.
- Include the salary range for the position. According to a survey from Visier, 68% of employees would switch jobs to receive greater pay transparency, even if the compensation was the same. Being transparent with your salary range will save you and your potential employees time by weeding out applicants who do not align with your pay rate.
- Highlight the benefits and perks. Mention whether the job would come with health insurance, flexible work hours, opportunities for professional development, or other benefits.
Optimize your job listings for search engines
In today's digital age, search engines like Google are a primary source of information for job seekers. Optimizing your job listings for search engines can increase their visibility and attract more qualified candidates. Boost your listing to potential candidates by optimizing for search engines with these helpful tips:
- Use relevant keywords. In your job description and title, include specific job titles, skills, and qualifications. Make your list of keywords before you start writing the listing, and then reread the listing to ensure each keyword is in the text multiple times.
- Avoid overly complex language or industry jargon. It's best to avoid using terms that job seekers or search engines may not understand. Instead, use easy-to-read language to describe the position and its requirements.
- Use headers and bullet points to break up the text. Well-formatted listings can make text easier to read, which can help search engines understand the content and rank it higher in search results.
- Include location information. Mentioning the company's location in the job title and description can help your job listing appear in local search results.
- Use meta descriptions. A meta description is a short summary of the content of a webpage that appears in search engine results. Use a concise meta description with relevant keywords to improve your search engine ranking and attract more job seekers.
Utilize social media platforms for job postings
- Choose the right platform. Different social media platforms have unique audiences and cater to specific industries, so choosing the medium that aligns with your company's culture and the type of candidates you seek is crucial. Try asking your current employees which platforms they use the most to get a good idea of where to start.
- Create engaging and visually appealing content. Social media is all about visual appeal, so make your job postings stand out with eye-catching images or videos that showcase your company's culture and values. Use storytelling techniques to make your content engaging and personal, and include relevant hashtags to make it more discoverable.
- Encourage employee advocacy. Encourage your employees to share job postings on their personal social media accounts to increase visibility and reach. Reposts from employees expand your company's social media reach and help attract candidates who are more likely to align with your company's culture.
- Leverage social media advertising. Use social media advertising to promote your job postings to a broader audience. Social media advertising campaigns are surprisingly affordable, and they can dramatically increase the visibility of your job postings and reach potential candidates who may not have found them otherwise.
Attend or host industry-specific job fairs and events
Attending job fairs and events is an excellent way to meet potential candidates and build relationships within your industry. These events provide a networking platform and highlight your company to a captive audience of job seekers. Research job fairs and events in your area and register your company to participate. You can also host your own recruiting events, such as an open house or a career fair, to attract top talent.
Here are a few resources to help you find job fairs and events:
Keep in mind that attending or hosting events can be costly, so be sure to plan and budget accordingly.
Create an employee referral program
Employee referral programs can be a powerful way to get more applicants. Your current employees can identify potential candidates who would fit well within your organization. Follow these steps to create a successful referral program:
- Establish clear guidelines. Explain the referral process, eligibility criteria, and rewards for successful referrals.
- Offer attractive incentives. Encourage participation by offering meaningful incentives, such as monetary bonuses or extra vacation days.
- Promote the program internally. Regularly remind employees of the program and its benefits through internal communications.
- Simplify the referral process. Make it easy for employees to submit referrals with a user-friendly platform or form.
- Provide feedback and celebrate successes. Share progress updates and success stories to motivate continued participation.
Attracting more applicants and top talent to your organization requires a combination of creativity and strategic thinking. By implementing these proven strategies, you can boost your applicant pool, ensuring a talented and diverse group of candidates. With a little effort and planning, you'll be well on your way to filling every open position.
Related reading: Revamp your hiring process
Get organized this year with cutting-edge workforce management software.
Review your recent interviews to make sure you're not overlooking candidates who just don't interview well.
Following best practices and still not getting enough applicants? You may need to drop your degree requirement.