I love this time of year! You get to put your Talent Acquisition (TA) budget together for next year, you find out how much you get to play with and you can start dreaming about all the cool stuff you can do for next year.
If you’re like me, most of your Santa list was stuff that your rich friends already had. I grew up fairly blue collar, so my stocking was stuffed with socks and underwear. A nice winter coat and new boots were probably going to be under the tree somewhere. I grew up understanding you get the things you need for Christmas, first, and if there was some left over budget you might get something you want.
I’ve run my TA budget, over the years, the same way. Sure, I love looking at all the new shiny, cool technology on the market, but first, let me get the technology I really need to make my shop run efficiently and effectively. So, if I was looking at putting my Santa list together for TA tech this year, this is what I would be asking for:
- Sourcing technology. People Aggregators, like CareerBuilder’s sourcing platform and a few others, are the perfect for filling your pipelines with passive candidates, different from what you get from candidate databases and your normal “post and pray” sourcing strategy.
- SMS candidate messaging. A few Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) already have this as part of their platform, or there are specific products on the market that will work with your ATS or CRM technology that allows you to text candidates directly. If you run a serious TA shop, your recruiters must have the ability to text candidates from your TA tech stack.
- An employment brand that is transparent. Most of us have this made-up employment brand. It’s not bad, but it’s not “us.” I want a brand that truly speaks to who we are. That’s scary because some of us don’t want our candidates to know who we truly are! I do. Just like our families. We love them to death and we have issues. I want people who want all of that, not just the good stuff! There’s great storytelling technology on the market that helps your employees truly share the real story of who you are as an organization.
- Hiring managers who own the talent on their team. TA isn’t responsible for the recruiting on your team. TA is responsible for helping you attract and select the best talent possible for your team. Ultimately, you – Mr. or Mrs. Hiring Manager – are responsible for the talent on your team. Want to completely change the talent culture in your organization? Make this one change! This means I need an ATS that is truly collaborative across our entire organization. Most aren’t.
- Candidate Relationship Marketing (CRM) technology. I need something to help me keep in contact, on an ongoing basis, with the talent we didn’t hire, but might just be our next greatest hire. It doesn’t work manually; Santa knows I’ve tried to do it manually for years!
I probably won’t get all of this, but that’s what Santa lists are for, to dream a little. My TA budget looks the same way! I’ll probably get some of what I ask for; I know I’ll never get everything, but little by little we’ll keep getting better. What would you put on your TA tech Santa list this year?
Read about Rockwater's success in the case study below: