Did you know that 20 percent of employee turnover happens in the first 90 days of employment? That’s according to IDC Research, and the finding underscores the importance of addressing the need for an effective onboarding process. This is often especially acute in industries with traditionally higher turnover such as retail, health care and manufacturing.
It’s difficult, or one can argue impossible, to create a tailored onboarding experience for individual hires without software when these types of companies have a healthy mix of hourly workers, salary workers and consultants working out of different locations. It all starts with having a solid recruitment strategy or applicant tracking system (ATS) that can help you find and hire people — and an onboarding solution that can help to retain all the great hires you’ve made.
Great new hire onboarding should start the minute a job applicant accepts your offer, ensures that the new hire is ready to work on Day 1, and the employee stays motivated and engaged until he/she becomes fully productive.
CareerBuilder’s onboarding solution, powered by SilkRoad, helps you engage new hires early, automate administrative tasks, deliver a consistent and scalable new hire experience, accelerate time to productivity, and give new hires a reason to stay.
“Our overall challenge would be onboarding and turnover throughout six facilities. Trying to find the best candidate while still being competitive within the market seems to be a big struggle for us. That's why we connected with CareerBuilder on what we can do to make easier for the candidate.” – Corporate recruiter, West Liberty Foods
Here are six key reasons you should invest in onboarding technology, especially if you’re in a high-turnover industry:
1. You can accelerate time to productivity. Great onboarding results from being able to deliver the right content to the right people at the right time. Automated workflows and business rules make sure that happens. You can tailor the onboarding experience as much as you want, yet provide complete brand and messaging consistency.
2. You can go paperless with eForms. You can save significant costs by eliminating paper forms, postage and copies. You can easily create eForms with the eForm builder plus get access to an eForms library of hundreds of the most used forms.
3. You can decrease compliance risk. CareerBuilder Onboarding provides a seamless end-to-end I-9/eVerify process, reducing errors and compliance risk. Direct integration lowers costs and provides a consistent process, so it’s easier to maintain compliance.
4. You will be able to provide a branded experience. You will have an easily branded employee onboarding portal. Add content to reflect your organization’s talent brand, culture, spirit, etc.
5. You can tailor the experience if you have a more complex workforce. If you have multiple locations, brands, and/or languages, you can tailor your new hire experiences to fit those situations with CareerBuilder Onboarding.
6. Integrations become easier. You can seamlessly integrate with your CareerBuilder ATS as well as background screening.